The Kumbabhishekam of Arulmigu Sri Ramanatha Swami Temple of Rameswaram took place in a grandeur manner on January 20th 2016. The presence of Sankaracharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam – The 69th Pontiff – Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Swamigal made the event very special to all the devotees in Rameswaram and more particularly to the devotees of Sri Matam.
- Rameswaram Sri Ramanatha Swami is the abode of one of the 12 Jyothir Lingam – “Ramalingeswarar”
- Sri Adi Sankara refers “Ramalingeswarar” in His Dwadhasa Jyothir Linga stotram
- Rameswaram is one of the four Dhams of Bharath :
- East – Puri (JaganNATH)
- West – Dwaraka (DwarakaNATH)
- North – Badri (BadriNATH)
- South – Rameswaram (RamNATH)
- A very special and historic significance of this Kshetram is that : The Sankaracharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam and The King of Nepal have traditional rights to perform “Abhishekam” to the “Moolavar Ramanatha swami” directly other than temple priests.
- The 68th Pontiff of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam – Jagadguru Sankaracharya Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi Swamigal (Sri MahaPeriyava) commenced HIS Kasi yatra in 1929 from Rameswaram.
- This is the place where Sri MahaPeriyava showed HIS patriotism by giving up Videshi Clothing in the sea and started wearing Swadesi Khadi Kavi Vastram
- Sri Adi Sankara Mandapam was erected by Sri MahaPeriyava at this Agni Theertha Sthalam
Here is a special video of Kumbabhishekam of Arulmigu Ramanatha Swami Temple – Rameswaram. We thank Thanthi TV for their special video of HH Sri Pudhu Periyava’s speech and the live coverage of the Kumbabhishekam.
Note: The video below is updated after being posted originally on January 22nd 2016.